Sounds fun right? Here are some things you can expect as a foster parent:
- COMMIT: Foster care can last anywhere from a week to a few months, to a year or more. There is no way to determine how long it will take for your foster animal to find it's Fur-Ever home. Making the commitment to provide foster care should be taken very seriously. Constant moving can be very stressful on an animal.
- HEALTHCARE: As a foster parent, you are expected to handle routine healthcare for your foster animal like giving daily medications or taking your foster pet to their vet appointments at one of the vet clinics we work with.
- KEEP IN TOUCH!: We want to know how things are going! Send updates on your foster pet(s) to your Foster Coordinator on a regular basis. This would include your foster pet's likes, dislikes, biographies, and of course...lots of pictures!! These will all need to be kept as up to date as possible.
- EXERCISE: You should be ready to provide your foster dog with daily walks on a leash for proper exercise and to help him/her get accustomed to leash walking. We don’t require that you have a fenced yard but do require that your foster dog is leashed and supervised at all times when taken outside. Cats need play and interaction to in order for them to be happy and healthy as well.
- TRAINING: Basic commands like sit, stay and come should be practiced so that your foster dog learns, grows and matures into a great companion. Many of these animals are coming directly from shelter environments, have been picked up as strays, came from a life inside of a small cage at a puppy mill or were treated with malicious intent. Many simply have no idea how to behave inside of a home. It's not their fault, and they can learn with PATIENCE, GUIDANCE, LOVE, and CONSISTENCY.
While it's fun and personally rewarding, fostering is not without it's challenges. But you are part of a very important rescue network and other Fur-Ever Home Rescue volunteers are here to support you! These volunteers can tell you that each and every one of these animals has deeply touched their lives - it's an amazing experience! If you are interested in fostering, please fill out an application!
Fostering is free!
We provide food, supplies, support & cover medical expenses.
Fur-Ever Home Rescue is a foster-based animal rescue, meaning we do not have a shelter or facility to house animals in our care. Foster homes are essential to our work - without them, we would not be able to do what we do. If you are willing to open your heart and home to an animal in need, we would love to have you join our team of rescue rockstars!
Check out our volunteer openings!
Other than you being a rockstar and hero to animals in need, there are actually a number of reasons why you should foster... the most important one is being able to save a life. Opening your home to an animal in need literally saves an animal's life. Not only that, it opens a spot in a shelter/impound for them to take in another animal in need; so technically, you are saving two lives.
Fostering is also a great way to socialize any existing pets you may have! Not to mention, it is also a great way to determine whether you (or your family) is ready for another pet. All the while, you are helping an animal in need.